Sunday, January 24, 2010

Temple of Doom



After our adventures in Africa and late-night antics with friends, we resumed teaching. It was quite difficult to adjust to our teaching schedule again since we really relished sleeping in until 11am, but all good things must come to an end. Our weekend was pretty low-key as we recuperated from a rather busy week.

Last Friday, I began taking Spanish lessons from a woman who lives downtown. I thought that this would be a good opportunity to focus on my personal language issues and improve with a native speaker. Her price was perfect, so I scheduled a class. The teacher is a bit older and she speaks Spanish very softly. She mumbles her words, which makes it even more difficult for me to understand her. To put it in perspective, think about how difficult it is when you strain to hear what your grandmother is saying in a language you are comfortable with--now imagine that it is a foreign language! I'm not sure how to proceed; perhaps I'll keep with this teacher for another week and see if things improve...

Since we didn't have much of an eventful weekend, I thought I'd post up some pictures we took while our friends came to visit Madrid. Our friends' desire to see Spain influenced us to finally go to Plaza de EspaƱa and see the Templo de Debod. This is an ancient Egyptian monument given as a gift to Madrid. Spanish engineers rescued the temple, which was in danger of being ruined by the Aswan Dam flooding. The temple was built in the 2nd century B.C. I had been recommended to visit the site at dusk, which made my pictures more beautiful! It' quite an awesome sight in Madrid.





Hope you have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment